Friday, September 9, 2011

Burning Man: The Coyote Shaman

It was after they'd burned the Temple. I could feel the heat from the flames as we approached. It was uncanny. People were crying, cheering, and laughing as they moved around the temple in a massive counter-clockwise circle, watching their pains and fear disintegrate into the Playa. They seemed more dressed up than they were for the Man Burn, and indeed, Jake and I had both donned white tribal face paint and I was wearing Ashland the cougar on my head.

Everyone seemed to be in a daze. Jake and I were walking around the flaming remains of the structure in a quite train with the rest of the crowd, half-lit by the flames which gave off such an intense heat that I had to shield my face with my camera and look through the viewfinder in order to walk so close. I was in a state of split consciousness: Part of my brain was dedicated to focusing on the pain I had just shed during the Burn, and part of my brain was focused on photography. It was overwhelming.

Then, suddenly, amid all the confusion and noise, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to find a beautiful young man standing there with a lovely coyote draped across his head. I automatically reached out a hand and rested it between the coyote's ears.
He lifted his hand and did the same for my mountain lion headdress. And we stood there for a moment in a state of Complete Understanding. I felt as though everything stopped then; the flames, the crowd, and even my lungs had stopped moving.

But even in that profound moment, reality was too hard to ignore: The crowd was pushing us forward, so it had to end. I asked to take the Coyote Man's photo, and he nodded, though didn't speak. I stood back and fired a few shots. 



Looking at them now makes me wish I were still there. I wish I could have talked to this guy more in-depth. We had an odd moment of understanding in the middle of the Playa that I cannot explain because I have never experienced anything like it before nor since. It’s hard, after all, to understand the complexities of the human mind until you’ve been to an event like Burning Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment